Help & Support

How do I change my residential referee's contact details?


Throughout the referencing process, we will keep you up to date on your progress via email and text. If you receive a notification to change your residential referee details, the fastest and most secure way to do this is by logging into your Goodlord account.

Click here if you need help logging into your Goodlord account.

Please note that even though the fields are all empty, the reference form you have submitted has been saved and you do not need to fill everything in again. You only need to enter new information in the specific section you are trying to change.

You will need:

  • A strong and stable internet connection. For the easiest submission use Google Chrome.
  • A smartphone, tablet or computer
  • Access to your online tenant portal

How to change your income referee details:

  • Once you have logged into Goodlord, click the ‘Update Reference’ tab
  • Scroll to the section called ‘Previous Landlord/Agent Details’
  • Enter your referee’s full name, their email address and their phone number
  • Click the ‘Submit’ button
This will override the current details we have saved for your residential referee and a new reference request will be automatically sent to the updated email address.

Important to Note:

  • The residential referee must be the person who managed your previous tenancy. This should be your managing agent or landlord.  
  • If your residential referee is refusing or unable to complete the reference request then please click here to see alternative documents we can use to complete your residency reference.


Email Us

Phone 0203 198 2060